To fulfil our commitment to donkeys and mules financial support is essential.
El Refugio del Burrito is a registered Spanish Non-Profit Association working to improve conditions for donkeys and mules in Spain.
Our operation is independent of any form of public assistance and relies on the support of many people who believe in our work.
Why not join those who are already helping us?
By making a donation or adopting one or more of our lovely donkeys you will be contributing to our commitment to help and care for donkeys and mules in need as well as helping to increase the number of special needs children who will be able to benefit from our free donkey assisted riding therapy.
Without your help we wouldn't be able to carry out our work. There are many ways for you to help us continue our vital work for donkeys and mules. We are suggesting 10 things you can do, but if you think of something different, do not hesitate in letting us know.
10 ways you can help
- Visit us. Our Fuente de Piedra Farm is open to the public every day of the year, entrance is free of charge.
- Make a Donation. It doesn't matter how small, it will be a great contribution towards our work.
- Adopt a Donkey. From just 15 Euros a year, you can adopt one of our donkeys.
- Raise Funds for Us. If you want to organise a Fundraising Event on our behalf, please contact us (Fundraising Officer).
- Buy at Our Shop. Whether online or at the Farm Shop, you will be helping our cause.
- Remember Us in Your Will. We will, in return, keep your memory alive helping animals and children alike.
- Spread the Word. If you believe in what we do, please help by spreading the word.
- Become a Volunteer. Why not spend a few days helping out in our Farm? Or maybe become a Welfare Volunteer?
- Contact us If you see a donkey or mule in distress, please get in touch with us.
- Support our welfare campaigns. Join our mailing list and support our protest actions.
For more details, please explore our website, or call 952 73 50 77. Thank you helping us help them!
Inspiring fundraiser stories
Last winter we had a visit from three very special women, Janet, Pam and Laura. They were three English ladies, who decided to take part in a unique challenge to raise funds for The Donkey Sanctuary. The challenge consisted of a sponsored trek from the Genal Valley to our Sanctuary in Fuente de Piedra. Once they arrived, although tired, they engaged in several routine activities at the sanctuary, spending some time with the donkeys and visiting the village and the lake. You can see them in the picture, enjoying Canela's company.
Last 21st and 22nd of December, with Christmas at our doorstep, two of our donkeys starred in the fundraising event held at "La Verónica" Shopping Centre in Antequera. We are very grateful to "La Verónica's" management for facilitating our stay at their facilities. On those days, everyone doing their Christmas shopping also had the chance to come along, have a chat, stroke our donkeys and get to know the work we do. Many people came over to our stand during those two days to get some information and donate.
Jane Hardwick from The Spanish Kitchen recently presented Celia Rengel, our office manager, with a cheque for €575. This brings the total raised by Jane to a wonderful €1500. In addition to this, we have taken over €1000 for copies of the Spanish receipe book written by Jane (which is on sale in our information centre).