During the first half of 2016, El Refugio del Burrito responded to an unprecedented number of cases.
- We rescued a total of 135 donkeys and mules that were abandoned or treated with cruelty.
- We saved 100 donkeys in a massive operation, last February in Cáceres. This is our largest rescue to date.
- We leaded 55 investigations and activated animal welfare devices in events such as El Rocío pilgrimage and Peropalo Carnival.
- We achieved to foster 59 donkeys and mules, which now live happily with their new families.
- There are close to 400 animals living in our sanctuaries.
The effort to give these animals a better life has consumed a large part of our resources. However, it is worth it.
The increase in the number of complaints, investigations and rescues, implies disproportionate costs for a modest charity like ours. To be able to respond properly, we have been forced to cut some of our activities, to prioritize legal assistance, transport, food and animal care.
Likewise, we have restructured our adoption programme, with the aim of building a stronger community of donkey and mule enthusiasts. Starting August 2016,
- We launch our new online store, which is more user-friendly and dynamic.
- You will be able to adopt a donkey starting from 5€/month.
- You will be able to adopt a donkey, in function of your commitment and possibilities.
- You will be able to help more without paying more, as we have joined a new fiscal framework, to deduce part of your fee in the next annual income tax return exercise (75% from the first 150€ and 30% of any amount beyond 150€).
- We improve the adopters’ experience, through our new welcome packs and sharing regular information on the activities at our sanctuary.
By adopting a donkey, you will be actively engaging in our rescue and protection operations. Your adopted donkey will be the reflection of your support to our animal charity.
Join our family and help us save those donkeys and mules that still need our relief and give them the life they deserve.