To transform the quality of life for donkeys, mules and people in Spain through greater understanding, collaboration and support, and by promoting lasting, mutually life-enhancing relationships.
The objectives of El Refugio del Burrito are the provision of care, protection and permanent security anywhere in Spain for donkeys and mules which are in need due to abandonment, mistreatment or neglect and the prevention of cruelty and suffering among donkeys and mules.
In order to realize these objectives we have identified the following key operational activities within the Charity:
- Provision of Donkey Care; to provide to every resident donkey within the refuge, expert and individual care through the provision of highly qualified motivated staff and optimum facilities to cater for the needs of our donkey population.
- Donkey Welfare Support; to provide a network of Welfare Officers across the country who follow up complaints by the public of ill treatment to donkeys and who monitor and develop foster home placements.
- Training, Education and Awareness; to promote donkey welfare practises by courses, publication or whatever means appropriate.
- Promote human- donkey interactions; with the aim to raise awareness about donkeys, build empathy and improve quality of life for both humans and donkeys.
We have the following facilities and main projects:
- Our headquarters and Sanctuary at Fuente de Piedra, Malaga (Spain) where we take care of overf 90 donkeys and it is opened to visitors.
- Our second Sanctuary in Bodonal de la Sierra, Badajoz (Spain) capable of caring for up to 200 donkeys.
El Refugio del Burrito is a subsidiary of The Donkey Sanctuary which is a UK based charity working worldwide to improve conditions for donkeys and mules.